Monday, August 10, 2009

Chapter 3, continued....

We last left off...

HERE:

That night was a peaceful one. The sun aroused itself slowly, plodding up into the sky. I smiled to myself as I woke. Mother's reassurance had been worthwhile. Dressing quickly, I practically hopped out of my cabin, tying my hair back with an indigo ribbon as I went. The shouts of sailors, lapping of the waves, and all manner of sea sounds flooded my ears as I walked briskly to the room I knew the rest of my family was inhabiting. Flinging open the door, I forgot all about my hopes of princessly behaviour.
"Good morning!" I greeted both my mother and brother cheerily. "Where's Father? Can I speak to him?" I questioned eagerly.
"May I," Mother scolded gently.
"May I speak to Father?" I was tapping my foot gently on the floor in impatience.
"He's expecting you in the other room, dear. Slowly, now, El..." I barely heard her. I did, however, open the door calmly. Father was seated at his desk, about to seal the envelope of a letter I assumed he had just written.
"Father! Good morning!" I threw my arms around him. "Mother says you've been expecting me."
"Yes, dear, I have. Your mother informed me of your desires. I believe I have a solution for you," He smiled as I listened attentively. "I have just sealed a letter to be sent as soon as we stop again to restock our food and water supply. This letter is to go to the head of my future army. In his spare time, you will learn to use a sword from him, as long as he consents."

"Oh, Father, really? The head of the army? You mean it?" I was fairly bursting with joy. I threw my arms around my father (gently enough, desptite my eagerness) and his whiskers brushed my face gently.

"Go on, now, Elwen, I believe you might want to walk on the deck this morning. It's gorgeous tonight." With a smile, he set the letter down close to his inkwell, and I practically waltzed out of the room.

On deck, I stood as close to the extreme prow as I could without bothering any sailors. That's when I saw Kip coming toward me.

"G'mornin, El," came the casual greeting. "How might you be today?"

"I'm in a glorious mood, Kip! The water is so calm today, is it not? I've been just drinking in some sea air. Lovely stuff. And yourself?"

"I'm feelin' just ship-shape this morning, I surpose. My, yer quite chipper, and ya got a twinkle in them dark eyes o' yers. What's up?"

" I told you once that my father would certainly allow me to handle a sword desptie my title, correct? Well, today he wrote a letter to the leader of the Narnian army, and he's to give me lessons on swordplay! That's why I'm so happy this morning."

"That's mighty fine news fer ya, El. Sailor's luck to ya." He saluted smartly, making me laugh.

"I suppose a sailor's luck is rather good, then?" Appearing to be greatly offended, he stepped back.

"Why, the best luck you'll find as far as the edges of the earth, Princess!" I smiled...........

AND ONCE AGAIN, our program will be interupted by a parental figure insisting that I get off the computer. So, begging your leave..............

5 comments:

  1. Lovely, darling! I MISS YOU! I miss you as well as a bunch of my other friends. I just sent, like, 50 e-mails out to people that I haven't heard from. "Are you lonesome tonight? Should I come back again?" Hehehe, going all Elvis on you. I'll see you at Orientation, right? ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good, rather! I like how you write!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Lady Anna- YES as far as I know. That's gonna be fantastic, I can tell you right now!!! You didn't send me an e-mail :[... I lovve you anyway!

    Hannah/ Always Narnian- Thanks! Not everyone does like my writing. I barely get any time in the first place, but when I do, I HATE to be interrupted! I'm glad you like it.

    Cheerio!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!! it's me lizzie. i LOVE your story.keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth!!!! Yay!!! I just got your letter yesrterday, and I'm planning on writing one back very very very soon. Like maybe tonight or tomorrow! Thanks for the support!

    ReplyDelete